Saturday, July 3, 2010

Seeing the Washing Tin Can Party Live, Part 2

The second day of my return to Washington was much like the first, except I was in a lot of pain.  I've got blisters on both feet, my ass hurts from riding bikes, and I got enough of a sunburn that my face feels a little tight.  But did that stop me?  No!  Because I've got to tell you what's awesomer live in Washington.

Around noon, while Brofessor Benjamin went to campus to work, I took Dillon to Dupont Circle park to each lunch.  We made some sandwiches and biked down Massachusetts Ave past many of the embassies.  Before we reached the park, I did a little bit of car shopping and came away with this beauty:


James Bond gave me some ideas

Dupont was the place to be.  Mid-70s, slight breeze, and low humidity.  All the D.C. locals were out ditching work.  Or being really damn cute like this one-year old Newfoundland named Moose.  He was frickin' huge.

                                       

 
Moose's owner is actually 3 feet tall

Sitting in the park and waiting for Ben was truly one of things that you need experience for yourself.  I've been to Dupont Circle many, many times, but I'm still filled with a keen sense of "rightness".  Being completely surrounded by high-rises, restaurants, jammed traffic, and the perfect mix of D.C. population gives a great sense of belonging.  That's not a feeling you can achieve just reading this blog.

After lunch, Ben met up with us and we headed back down Mass Ave to check out the embassies in closer detail.  I was too busy just looking at things to remember to take many pictures, and neither did Ben.  We agree that they are better live.  But first, Ghandi!

                                            

And Greece!  

                                         

Yo, Greece, straighten out your economy

This guy was talking near the Turkish embassy about powerful people manipulating the rest of the world.  

                                                   

He was gettin' a little crazy for me, so I quickly moved along.  I recommend not spending much time around people like this.  It's better from a safe viewing distance.  In front of the Turkish embassy, a large group of men were praying, so we took a couple pictures...

                                         
                                                
                              

...until some a-hole decided to yell at us for "not showing respect".  These guys have prayed thousands of times, I'm sure they don't mind.  Arrest me.

We moved along back up the MASSive Mass Ave hill to the National Cathedral.  It's one of those places close to campus that I somehow missed in the months I was at school.  It's definitely worth checking out at least once, although the ceaseless "Suggested Donation: $5" signs start to get on your nerves.  I ain't paying nothing, leave me alone.  

                                                

That's a big horse.

Ben got a delightful picture of the Darth Vader gargoyle.  And I liked this fountain:

                                                

The day was wearing on and we were still tired from the previous day (and probably still dehydrated) so we started heading back.  Our plans were to go to the sculpture garden for free jazz.  This happens every Friday during the summer and thousands of people show up for the music and the booze.  I find it hard to believe that this event is sanctioned by the city.  One person goes to buy the pitcher of sangria and then everyone else benefits, 21 or not.  Hells yes.  We hung out and ate hors d'oevres and soaked up the sun.  Bookmarked lunch in the park perfectly.


                                      

                                      

What a good day.  Today we're going to the zoo, so I'll update you with that later (hopefully tonight).  Also, sorry for the formatting of the pictures; Blogger sucks at media.



No comments:

Post a Comment