Saturday, July 17, 2010

"Inception": A Review Within A Blog

Was Inception better live?  Silly question, given the medium, but yes.  Oh God yes.


Don't worry, Cobb, your crazy problems don't bother me

Never have I ever walked out of a theater feeling so satisfied and fulfilled.  The action, the dialogue, the cinematography, the vision, the crowd experience, the sour skittles (how you burn my tongue)… wonderful. 

I usually choose to pick on some aspect of a movie.  Some obvious plot hole, a glaring omission in thought process, something that gives me an itch to scratch, but this time… oh no.  Not for Inception

Now, I’m not some rabid fanboy, suckling at Nolan’s teat (although come to think of it, Memento and Dark Knight are among my very favorite movies…).  I’m sure if I watched the movie again I could point out a few issues.  But the rest of this blog will be nothing but gushing and cooing.  Sorry, film elitists, but sometimes a boy’s gotta express himself.

First off, what an attractive and well put-together lead cast.  Leo?  A no-brainer.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt?  Plays an awesome action hero.  Intelligent and calculating, reminded me of Daniel Craig's Bond.  Then there's Tom Hardy, who hasn't had too many lead roles, but plays the wise-cracking tough guy like he was born into the role.  Christopher Nolan once again taps the talents of Cillian Murphy who has the chops to casually mention his $10 million insurance from kidnapping and make it seem natural.  Out of the primarily male cast, Marion Cotillard and Ellen Page stand out prominently.  Page is adorable as ever, but Cotillard manages to evoke that crazy heavy-lidded sensuality that she procured in La Vie En Rose.


She doesn't need a gun to stop me in my tracks.  Just sayin'

And the action.  The most beautiful fights scenes ever choreographed (okay, forgetting classics like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)… I could weep for the inventiveness.  I’m sorry, but a zero-g fight like that will be hard to top.  Also, the car chases are straight out of Dark Knight scenes, but I don't care, Nolan practically made the car chase relevant again.

Also, I've read that Inception is "Kubrickian" and I feel that statement must be referring to The Killing, which I mentioned in my previous blog.  Both are perfect heist films, but Nolan eschews Kubricks taut dialogue and still camera shots and instead uses inventive movie magic and clever timing to keep the audience on the edge of its seat.

Overall, it's the perfect summer movie.  It's the big-budget thriller that appeals to a huge audience- Appealing cast, excellent action from a director known to deliver the goods, thought-provoking dialogue on dreams, and an ending that keeps you guessing.  Ebert pointed out that the film will be discussed on the internet for ages to come and that's what makes it so great.

Oh, and the audience... dead quiet for two and a half hours up until the very last moment when we all erupted with the same response.  Perfect.  HNNNGG

And for those who didn't like the score.... BRAHHHHH BRAHHHH.

2 comments:

  1. Drooled over Marion both times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I've decided the score was Contempt level annoying.
    2. Nice shop.
    3. The part in Leo's dream when Marion goes up to Ellen and is all "Do you know what it is to be a lover?" hhhnnnggg. She is perfection.

    ReplyDelete