Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cloudy with a chance of Photoshop

In today's post I want to share my excitement about some great new software.  Some of it I plan on using to make my blog more fun and engaging.  Fear not, luddites, this could be of use to you.


The first application I want to talk about is called CloudApp.  This great app (Mac only, sorry Windows users) allows you to quickly upload files from your computer to the cloud.  

First, what is the cloud?  I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept, but basically it allows for greater data sharing, faster data access and greater power for mobile technology.  Yes, I'm drooling right now.  This website has five great videos explaining the cloud.  I like to think about it this way:  many of those great apps for your iPhone or various Android powered phone use the cloud to overcome the limitations of your hardware.

Okay, before I stray into territory that I can't quite explain, I'll simply talk about CloudApp.  When you upload the file from your Mac to the cloud, it is backed up by Amazon's Simple Service Storage and saved multiple times, completely safe.  That's pretty cool.  Your file is also given a unique URL that you can copy and paste anywhere for other people to download.  For example, in iTunes I simply highlight the desired song, hit the hot key (for me it's Shift+Alt+Command+Up) and it immediately starts to upload.  A few seconds later I have a URL that I can paste on Facebook and the song is instantly available.  

Try this:  Four Hours in Washington.  Great song, by the way.

This is my personal screen.  I've only been messing around with it for a day, but it works just like I would expect it to.



It is also a really awesome way to create screen caps.  I simply hit Shift+Command+4, make my selection, and the picture is uploaded automatically.  Then I have a downloadable URL at my disposal.  Should make my job easier on here and make me more able to share music and ideas.

Next is a program everyone is familiar with- Photoshop.  But not only do I have Photoshop, but I also have the entire Adobe Create Suite 5.  Oh yes.  


Really, I don't have terribly much to say except that I can't use probably 90% of the power here.  I'll need to hop on some tutorials as soon as possible.  Especially for the new Photoshop, because I used to be fairly accomplished at CS4.  Maybe I'll learn to use Dreamweaver and finally eschew the crap that is Blogger.  C'mon Blogger, you are a tool for multimedia expression; learn to handle multiple media!  

                                       

This is what I see when I open my Applications folder.  Be very jealous.  And a little afraid.

Lastly, and this is something I'm very excited for... Starcraft II will be released July 27th.  

                                     

I want to stress how huge this is-  I was raised on the first Starcraft and have waited many long years for this one.  For those of you who don't know what Starcraft is, expect some updates in the next couple days and then a lengthy post once it's released.  I'll make it entertaining between all the glowing adjectives.  Maybe try out some videos, screen caps... I'll be holed up for a few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment