Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Hi, I'm Calling From Vector Marketing..."

"...did you know you would be receiving a call?"  Frankly, my dear, no.

I received a call from Vector this past weekend, asking if I would like an easy summer job to make some cash.  I was skeptical but not yet ready to hang up, so I asked how they got my number.  Apparently, a kid from my high school gave it to them.

He did what now?

I won't name him for privacy's sake, even though he doesn't deserve the respect.  Did he really think it would be okay to hand out my number to some random company?  Also worth noting, I haven't spoken to him in a very long time.

Given that the call woke up me, I politely asked to be called back.  Maybe this would lead somewhere.

Several hours later, rather than calling me back, they called my friend, Dillon.  He was sitting next to me when his phone rang.  Strange, indeed.  He put the call on speaker and asked for a few more details.  The representative gave the same story- the number was given to Vector by the same punk kid, and would Dillon like to make easy money?  Easy money doing what...?

Selling knives for Cutco!  The poor representative fought through her script, but at that point a group had gathered around Dillon's cell phone and we were all loudly discussing the company.  He hung up on her.

The next day I received my own personal call-back and my curiosity got the better of me.

"Hi, I'm calling from Vector..."
"Hey, guy, I know what this is about, and I'm really not interested in the job.  But you could kindly tell me how you got this number."
"[That asshat] gave Vector your number."
"I don't believe that, I haven't spoken to him in forever."
[The representative gets a little peeved] "Look, we have your number, written down on paper."
"Seems dubious.  Are you totally sure you didn't my number from Facebook or something?  Think hard."
"No, we got your number from [Asshat].  He works here."
"Whoa, don't take a tone, I'm thinking about working for Vector."
"Okay, would you like to hear about Cutco?"
"Nah, I'm just playing.  Have a good day."

I admit, I can be a little mean.

I felt something was up and this is what Google told me:

Vector's homepage lists candy-like promises for wholesome work experience, a resume booster, easy money, and being your own boss.  Gee, sounds almost too good to be true.  The "typical day" bio for Katie Fingerhut Heaney (is that really her name?) describes her incredibly boring life, from her ridiculously healthy breakfast, to how little work she does in a day (sounds she's just bothering realtors), to her boring nights with her husband.  Cheesy, a little stiff, but plausible.  But it still sounds like Vector is trying too hard to sell how open and easy this job can be.

Googling "Vector Scam" immediately comes up with several articles with big angry titles like "VECTOR MARKETING SCAM" and then a few other hedging titles like "Vector Marketing... Maybe a Scam?"  Unfortunately, this article is very very similar to this article and it seems like some of the whistleblowing is poorly researched.

The one thing that does come out of this that to work for Vector, you have to pay for a demo kit.  That kit is around $140, plus tax.  So even if the sucker doesn't manage to sell any knives, he's already shelled out cash to Vector.  And that poor sucker is advertised as college students trying to pay back loans.  Scam or not, that's pretty terrible.

So what did we learn?  Unfortunately, not much, but be wary of Vector and make sure you know who has your number.

Also, the third phone call was so much better live.  The frustration in his voice was priceless.

9 comments:

  1. Last night I thought of so many ways I wish I would have messed with the marketer. Flirting would've been fun, also getting insanely angry at them, demanding to speak to a manager etc. Maybe even just telling them a lot of things that would make the call extremely uncomfortable for them. Either way, I regret not having more fun with them and therefore, it could've been better live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he dumped his cell phone contacts into these people. I was up till like 4 the other night and got a really pleasant call at 9:30 in the morning. I was incredibly disoriented: "I applied for a job?".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that's just classic TAYLOR LEATHERMAN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I claim no responsibility for the actions of commentors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually worked for Vector Marketing some years back. I sold knives and actually got a nice set free. I was paid nicely and was one of their top salesperson's. A college student came to my home some weeks back as a representative with Vector and did a wonderful job on his presentation. This company really did help me with phone calls and presentation's. They are a good company and I would be quick to take a second look at a resume of someone who had this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work for vector now, this would be a year an a half for me. I love it here, first i started off selling, and it was a great, made almost 600$ my first week off my 17$ base pay. Then i switched over to being a receptionist, and i love talking and calling people. This company may not because the best to work for, but we target kids who have so much on their plate and can't work a scheduled job. They make their own schedules, and working here is one of the best experiences you will ever have a job. Our training is taught as a curriculum at ISU and other colleges. You don't have to pay for any kits, and there is no door to door, telemarketing or cold calling. Stop being so skeptical about everything, just because we aren't handing you free money doesn't mean it's a horrible place to work! And for your information, your friend DID give your name and number, that's how it works, no matter how long you have gone without someone talking to you, if your in their contacts, your being put down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work for Vector Marketing and I can assure you that the only people who think it's a scam are those that aren't good at it. They changed the policy, so you no longer have to purchase your sample kit unless you want to keep it after you leave the company. I won a complete set in my first 10 days on the job and the pay is great! Those who complain about inconsistent paychecks aren't consistent in their work. Even if you aren't selling then the base pay should be consistent. I will admit, it's not for everyone, but for most college kids, it's the easiest job in the world. And the friends and personal growth I've gained in the last 5 months has been incredible.Lifelong friends and skills that I will have for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked for Vector in high school
    ...17 years ago. My now 16 year old daughter works for Vector. She works part time, as she is home schooled. She makes $18/demo that she shows plus a percentage of tach sale! She did NOT....I repeat did NOT have to pay for her kit! Whoever told you, lied. As my daughter's "bank," I can assure you I would not pay for any job up front! It's a job that hires high school and college students in order to teach them of business and marketing skills. No scam. 100% real. I'm actually typing this as she is giving a demo as we speak. Yes the knives can be pricy but they sellore than just knives and you can make payments on the more expensive items and STILL receive them within 7-10 days! Please get facts right before spreading lies on a good company!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I worked for Vector in high school
    ...17 years ago. My now 16 year old daughter works for Vector. She works part time, as she is home schooled. She makes $18/demo that she shows plus a percentage of tach sale! She did NOT....I repeat did NOT have to pay for her kit! Whoever told you, lied. As my daughter's "bank," I can assure you I would not pay for any job up front! It's a job that hires high school and college students in order to teach them of business and marketing skills. No scam. 100% real. I'm actually typing this as she is giving a demo as we speak. Yes the knives can be pricy but they sellore than just knives and you can make payments on the more expensive items and STILL receive them within 7-10 days! Please get facts right before spreading lies on a good company!

    ReplyDelete