Friday, August 20, 2010

Mercer Museum

Construction is well under way!  Foundation is laid and walls are being put up.  Some other little effects are being added as well, such a large LED lights that will light up the back wall and have the capacity to change color.  Nice.

Most of the visitors are interested in the expansion with a mix of excitement.  Others, however, decide to spout off their corporate paranoia at ME, as if I signed off on the multi-million dollar project.  After filling out a survey, one guy demanded a spiel about the expansion.  I explained that it’s replacing the old vistor’s center and will have room for blah blah blah.

            “I am fearful of this expansion!  New parking lot, right?  All that grass torn up, of course.  Sheesh.”  And off he went.  I looked at his survey.  He didn’t just write his complaints, he carved his comlplaints.

I am fearful that this new expansion will ruin the integrity of the original building.  Corporations just adding on all the time, no thought to the precious arifacts.  What’s next, a STARBUCKS???

The word “Starbucks” was enormous and double-underlined.  And precious artifacts?  Okay, Gollum.

I guess this guy doesn’t realize that the Mercer Museum is a business, driven by revenue from visitors, events, and renters and that the expansion will keep his treasures safe.

The best part was how annoyed he was.  I tried to explain a few of these things but he just burned my toast and walked out.  The last thing I noticed, he had the “ohm” symbol tattooed on his earlobe.  Nice.  I guess a clear mind really means an unused mind.

Anyway, the visitor’s center opens Spring 2011!  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment